Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Purple May



In the garden:
Clematis 'Niobe'
Chives
Allium
Queen of the Night tulip

Last month I mostly -

- Looked like a French peasant - a customer's description of me, not mine.  I was aiming for this look.
- Drank flasks of coffee in lay-bys
- Watched half a play and went on half a city walk.  Life is too short to be bored.
- Heard a cuckoo
- Caught a bus for the first time in years
- Discovered the roof leaked
- Won half a bottle of prune juice at the village Spring Fayre
- Was doped up on Piriton for heat rash and tried not to fall asleep whilst mowing someone's lawn

May was a very jazzy month.  Clare Teal was fab as always in the Salisbury Festival and we were the youngest members of the audience at the Swing Unlimited Big Band concert at the lovely Regent Centre in Christchurch.


The Regent Centre is a restored 1930's art deco cinema


The runner beans, courgettes and broad beans are now in the veggie patch


It is nice to have empty window sills again!

Sarah took up golf which meant that I could visit the club house - yeah!  Why do I like club houses and working men's clubs?  Weird.


The High Post Golf Club do a good range of chocolate

There are advantages to only having one car now.  I get to hang around odd places or old haunts whilst Sarah does stuff.  Apart from the golf club I have had an hour to wander around Lizzie Gardens as the sun goes down and people watch.  I had forgotten how lovely it is.


The Cathedral from Elizabeth Gardens


Water meadows


Lovely oak tree in the background


I used to sit here and muse as an angst ridden teenager - not attractive



You would hardly know you were in town - so peaceful

I enjoyed charity shopping last month.


My sister made a new friend in Oxfam in Devizes


and I bought a toast rack in the Cats Protection League shop in Melksham


Eddie has had lots of cuddles


and warily watched the cows in the field

We bought lots of plants at the village Spring Fayre.  We also won a bottle of wine on the tombola which we swapped with a fellow villager for a bottle of sherry.  We left the half drunk bottle of prune juice that we won at the village hall.....


Village Spring Fayre goodies


Eddie is getting used to me constantly taking photos


Top of the hill (and breathe.....)



That boy has so much energy


We have had lots of irises popping up in the garden


These English marigolds come up every year


The Lilac that we cut down has come back with a vengeance


We planted violas and they are still going strong


Esme showing off her wheels when her mother has to catch the bus!


We bought Eddie two new balls


The countryside is littered with lost balls

It has been unbearably hot some days in customers' gardens.


This was the day I got heat rash


Lots of customers have had amazing poppies


I quite like these orange pots too - oops, the boss is coming


I love this time of year with the long evenings


and the bluebells in Grovely Woods


The person who chops the wood in Grovely woods obviously has a sense of humour

The garden has been full with purple flowers.


Chives in the herb garden



Allium


Shaggy tulips


and bluebells

My favourite cow parsley is bursting from every bank and roadside.  I always feel like a prisoner that has just been released when spring finally arrives.  After all those dark, grey days of winter I want to run amok!


Yes!


Love that green and blue!


Bring me more!


Eddie come back!


Eddie likes the better weather too.



I am back to snurging in hedgerows with my camera, trying to keep one eye on the dog.



Hedge Woundwort on the left
Ground Ivy on the right

- Hedge Woundwort has an unpleasant smell (believe me, it really does), solid square stems of up to three feet and was once used to make plasters and ointments, hence its name.

- Ground Ivy is a creeping, hairy perennial from the mint family.  It is used as a salad green in some countries (must try it) and has been used medicinally for thousands of years.  It can be rinsed and steeped in hot water to make tea (must try that too).  It was used by Saxons in brewing beer, hence its other names 'alehoof' and 'gill-over-the-ground'.  It is toxic to cattle and horses.



As you can see I am always loitering at the back and running to keep up with these two!

Well, June has been pretty cold and wet so far (admit to putting the heating on a couple of times!) so I've got time to read my new Robert McFarlane book and fan my heat rash a bit.

'To know fully even one field or one land is a lifetime's experience.  In the world of poetic experience it is depth that counts, not width.  A gap in a hedge, a smooth rock surfacing a narrow lane, a view of a woody meadow, the stream at the junction of four small fields - these are as much as a man can fully experience.'

- Patrick Kavanagh 1904-1967 (from 'Landmarks' by Robert McFarlane)

No comments:

Post a Comment